Marketing Tips« Back to Ideas Collection
More Marketing Tips
- • 10 Ideas to Help Sharpen Your Headline Writing Skills
- • Think Digital is Where It’s At? Think Again.
- • Hook Your Audience with Habit-Forming Products
- • Make Your Brand Impossible to Resist with Fascination
- • How to Stand Out in a 3-Second World
- • 3 Keys for Reaching an Entitled Generation
- • 3 Ways to Sabotage Your Next Direct Mail Piece (And How to Market Smarter)
- • Marketing to the Smallest Viable Audience
- • 5 Reasons to Consider a Rebrand for Your Business
- • How Magnetic Marketing Cements Customer Loyalty
- • How to Persuade Prospects to Say Yes
- • How to Make Your Idea Stick
- • How to Perfect Your Sales Copy
- • The Power of Simplicity in Marketing
- • Funnel Your Efforts in the Right Direction
- • Only As Strong As Your Weakest Touch Point
- • Smart Companies Get People Talking
- • 6 Steps To Customer-Centric Writing
- • Sell With Words That Inspire
- • Creating a Category of One
- • Four Keys to Building Customer Relations
- • Eye-Stopping Headlines
- • Powerful Business Cards
- • Design Direct Mail That Sells
- • Create a Great New Logo
Funnel Your Efforts in the Right Direction
Every journey starts with a step in the right direction and then continues with another step after that. Creating a journey, or path, for your customer to follow is one way that modern marketers can engage with their audience through every step: from uneducated prospect to devoted brand evangelist. The sales funnel provides customers with a concrete path that guides them with structure and information through the three buckets of the sales funnel: awareness, consideration and ultimately making a decision.
Creating a brand evangelist doesn't happen overnight, and it certainly isn't an easy process -- but it's worth it! Content marketing is one of the most personalized ways to encourage users to walk along a particular journey with your brand. That doesn't mean content should be static, or the same for each customer you're in contact with; quite the opposite in fact!
Steps in the Content Marketing Funnel
Top of the Funnel: Awareness.
A deep understanding of how a customer begins their journey is critical. If you're a real estate agent, perhaps the first step of the journey is when a prospect receives a postcard letting them know that houses in their area are selling at a greater speed and for higher prices than expected. This simple print promotion may trigger a hidden interest in making a move. Building awareness is the most general form of content marketing and should be purely informational, not promotional.
Middle of the Funnel: Consideration.
When a prospect is truly considering a specific direction, your content marketing should shift their journey towards consideration of how you want your prospect to proceed. Continuing with our example of a realtor, this is when you may reach out with a mailing piece that details the unique knowledge that a realtor possesses, and how you seek to add value to the transaction. This could be everything from market research to pricing, a good eye for staging a home and presentation, or even a great network of potential buyers. It's important to note that you're still not doing a hard sell. Instead, you're positioning yourself as an expert in the field.
Bottom of the Funnel: Decision.
At this time, your prospect has taken a step to request more information from you specifically through a direct-response card or personal invitation to call, and they're ready to take the plunge to become a customer. Now, a targeted piece with details about your business and how you individually will allow them to be successful in their goals is appropriate.
No matter your customer or business type, a content marketing sales funnel is a fantastic way to nurture prospects into customers. The best way to do this is to proactively provide your prospects with appropriate information that they need to take their engagement with your business to the next level. Do that, and you're one step closer to gaining brand evangelists and lifelong customers.
by John Hall
A game-changing framework for staying top of mind with your audience―from the No. 1 company dominating content marketing
What do many successful businesses and leaders have in common? They're the first names that come to mind when people think about their particular industries. How do you achieve this level of trust that influences people to think of you in the right way at the right time? By developing habits and strategies that focus on engaging your audience, creating meaningful relationships, and delivering value consistently, day in and day out.
It's the winning approach John Hall used to build Influence & Co. into one of "America's Most Promising Companies," according to Forbes. In this step-by-step guide, he shows you how to use content to keep your brand front and center in the minds of decision makers who matter. He reveals:
• how consumer needs and expectations have changed and what this shift means for you
• how to build a helpful, authentic, and consistent brand that serves others just as well as it serves you
• proven methods for using digital content to enrich your target audience's lives in ways that build real, lasting trust
Whether you're a marketing leader engaging an audience of potential customers, a business leader looking to humanize your company brand, or an industry up-and-comer seeking to build influence, maintaining a prominent spot in your audience's minds will increase the likelihood that the moment they need to make a choice, you'll be the first one they call. There's no better way to drive opportunities that result in increased revenue and growth.
Business is never "just" business. It's always about relationships. It's always about a human connection. When you're viewed as a valuable, trustworthy partner, the opportunities are endless. Position yourself for success by establishing and developing content-driven relationships that keep you and your brand Top of Mind.